21 May 2008

Where Brooklyn at?

Oh my, oh my, oh my. Have you been watching Ms. Rap Supreme on VH1? I sure have. For those of you that don't know, I have a (huge) place in my heart for hip hop and rap, having grown up outside NYC with Hot 97 as my prefered radio station until punk rock stole me away in my early teens. I can't say I have a sure-fire prediction to win, because there are a few really talented gals on there. However I do have a favorite.

<------This gal right here. Her name is Byata and she's from Brooklyn. She grew up in Little Odessa with Russian immigrant parents. I guess I feel that I can relate being from NYC and having an eastern european ancestry. It's nice to see an example of the mix of cultural influences that makes NYC the best city on earth. She is full of talent, enthusiasm, intensity, and fun. I have to also admit that it helps that she's totally hot. I LOVE women in rap and I'm hoping that all the gals from the show get record deals and we can all hear more from them. Women have a lot to say and rap is an excellent vehicle to vent from centuries of male oppression and whatnot. So, for all my girls on Ms. Rap Supreme, keep spittin' for girls like me, who wish we could.

And as for Byata... call me?

No comments: